Monday, December 8, 2008

11-24-08 Week Thirteen Author Group Presentation

We gave our presentation of Russel today, which went well I think. I'm still not really sure how we are expected to present the author packet, but we ended up with a number of good questions so I think we can establish that the presentation was a success!

Prof. Row brought up an interesting point that if you use the fantastic consistently, as Russel does, as an allegory/metaphor for the experience of coming of age then what are the consequences of this use, does it limit the fantastic to only expressing this one idea?
This got me thinking about the reversal of this problem. If you always use the fantastic to describe the experience of coming of age then what does that suggest about coming of age? Why cannot that moment be articulated in a narrative set in reality?
My personal opinion is that if Russel's stories were robbed of their fantastic elements they would loose their charm and become simply depressing. Like a souffle the wolves and magic goggles in Russel's work keep the heavy content light and airy, so the moments are both deliciously fluffy and heavy, simultaneously.

Along with these questions we came up with a list of other questions my favorite of which was "define your assumed trajectory of your career", or something like that. I think every visiting writer should be asked this question, perhaps before their reading, or possibly we could have them submit a proposal in writing before they are seriously considered a candidate for the series. After all, how can we possibly invite a writer without knowing if they expect to be insanely famous in forty years. Haha, no but seriously I actually like that question, I forget who thought of it, I wish our Q and As could be completely sarcastic. It could be the VWS/ Creative Writing Communities Comedy Presentation. There is just something about all writers "reading their work" that gives me a deep desire to provide sarcastic commentary, at the same time that I genuinely enjoy the experience. It is so odd, us with our questions, them up there reading, its funny u know? At the same time that it is wonderful experience.

With that said I look forward to Russel's coming on the 4th.

No comments: